First, my favourite part, nutritional science
- 90% of protein is broken down on amino acids, the rest of 10% is burned in the digestion process.
- Amino acids has no form of storage in the body, so its better to consume roughly equal amount of protein every meal
- there are essential and non-essential amino acids. Non-essential amino acids can be synthesized by the body
- Breaking down of protein starts in the mouth. By chewing the food, enzymes are released to head-start the digestion.
- To break down protein based food, body is using different process, than for breaking down carbohydrate/fat based food
- This process is called HYDROLYSIS . It requires water. So be sure to drink plenty of WATER!
- For a healthy diet include ~1g of protein per each kg of body weight. Check out HERE, how to manage your nutrients.
- Protein plays a key role in sustaining immune system, making of hormones and enzymes (digestion and absorbtion of food), transport oxygen to tissues, producing structure for muscles, skin, hair, bones, organs.
That’s definetely not all. But the main point is that protein is much more than just muscle structure builder. I suggest you to stick with a plant based protein from the specific food. It has all essential amino acids. It is a holy trinity of the vegan world:
Legumes, Rice and Soy
Nothing less, nothing more. Include them or their combination constantly in your diet. And you’ll be getting all esential nutrients (in terms of protein). Let yourself be creative: Tofu with asian rice / Chickpea-vegetable ragout / Lentil-beetrout salad with balsamico / Hummus on rice bread with tomatoes and basil / Vegan paella with tofu pieces / Chickpea flour pizza with silken tofu / Soy bean asian soup with rice noodles… I can go on forever… Maybe I should write more food ideas and recipes? Let me know in the comments below.
Best part of plant based protein- no meat
I mentioned HERE, that eating meat creates toxins in the body. Not only that.
Modern agriculture uses antibiotics for animals, so they don’t get sick. And infuse them with the growth hormones, so the animals would get bigger and bigger faster. With those antibiotics and hormones- meat is getting consumed by human population. (Not to mention killing animals in horrifying numbers- 60 billions per year. It’s not how agriculture should be, if you ask me).
It’s just how today’s world works. Everybody wants to profit- nothing wrong with wanting to be rich. But even farmers with eco-friendly certificates and free-range labels are living in this world too. But it is the consumer, who decides, whether to choose this product or not. I would say- it is not worth it.
Start reducing your meat intake. Try out different combinations of legumes, rice and soy in your diet.
I highly suggest to inform yourself and watch the documentary: FORKS OVER KNIVES. (if you haven’t watched yet)
And the COOKBOOK with the same name.
Be wise in your decisions,